Our next Block of the Every Other Month is the Lopsided Four Patch!
How to get started:
• Download Pam’s Lopsided Four Patch Pattern here!
• Use gray and gold fabrics.
• Bring your finished block(s) to the November meeting for a chance to win them all at the Block Lotto!
We can’t wait to see what you make!
The September meeting celebrated the 6th year of the South Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild! Here are many of our now 66 members taking a photo to commemorate all the fun and great quilts that have been and will be!
In other news:
- Board Member Announcements: Our Co-VPs, Carolyn & Barbara will be retiring from their posts at the end of the calendar year so we are seeking volunteers for next year (not to give away the ending, but we had 5 volunteers already!).
- Sew Day Reminder: We will be hosting a Sew Day on Saturday, September 16th at the Community Foundation Center in Aptos. Check out the Events Page for all the details!
- Flea Market & Scrap Swap: Our annual scrap swap will take place at the October 3rd guild meeting in addition to a Flea Market where guild members can sign-up to sell some of their higher ticket items (think spare sewing machines, precuts, etc). Members can sign up for for the Flea Market by emailing us at email@example.com.
- Workshop Opportunities: A few workshop and retreat oppertunities with other guilds are now available to SBAMQG members:
- Road 2 California: If you are planning to attend Road 2 California Quilt Show in Ontario, CA please email us at sbamqg@gmail to be entered to win two free tickets!
- Quilter’s Planner: Guild members have an opportunity to get a Quilter’s Planner or Quilter’s Planner Combo at a 40% discount. Sign-ups were taken at the September Meeting & will also be taken at the October Meeting along with payments. Check it out here if you want to take advantage of this offer!
- Block of the Every Other Month: Pam Rocco presented the next Block of the Every Other Month, the Lopsided Four Patch Block. Directions for how to construct this block can be found here. Darlene took home the Scrap Block Lotto win (for a second time I might mention!).
- Cow Bell: President Chelsea broke the cow bell. This is very important and must be noted.
- Sew & Tell: As usual, Sew & Tell was a hit! Check out all these beauties including a quilt that lights up!
At the last meeting, Isabelle gave a great demo on how to use the Wefty Needle to weave fabric strips that you can sew into quilts or incorporate into any of your sewing projects like zipper pouches and bags!
Some of Isabelle’s favorite fabric weaving resources include:
Tara Curtis: Wefty Inventor
Excited about our Block of the Every Other Month and ready to get started on the current Scrap Block?
How to get started:
• Download Pam’s Scrap Block Pattern from the Quilter’s Newsletter Website
• Use your fat quarters from the July meeting swap and fabric from your stash in red-violet, blue-violet & yellow. Use solids or solid-ish fabrics for the stripes in the block.
• Bring your finished block(s) to the September meeting for a chance to win them all at the Block Lotto!
We can’t wait to see what you make!
We have so many fun and exciting challenges going on this year at SBAMQG that I wanted to write up a quick blog post to tell you about them so you have somewhere to reference all the fun!
At the beginning of the year members were encouraged to post on Instagram photos of works in progress (WIPs) that they planned to complete by the December 2017 Guild Meeting and to update us when their quilts were completed with both posts using #SBAMQGWIPITGOOD. Fast forward 6 months and we have had new member join at each meeting (we’re so popular and we love it!) and now we want to open up a new opportunity. Missed your opportunity at the beginning of the year? Want to start the challenge now? Here are the guidelines:
- Post up to 3 WIPs by July 18, 2017 using #SBAMQGWIPITGOOD
- WIPs are considered anything from a pile of fabric with good intentions to a finished, but unquilted top
- Post pictures of your finished work using the hashtag throughout the year (no progress shots using the hashtag, please)
- For every WIP finished by November 30, 2017 you’ll be entered to win a fabulous Quilty Celebrity prize
Here are some clues as to what this delightful prize might be:
- The Quilty Celebrity equivalent of Indiana Jones’ fedora (or Don Johnson’s jacket, I am not letting that go and you cannot make me)
- Bigger than a seam ripper
- Currently decorating my sewing studio
- NEW CLUE: Red and white and aqua blue all over
Make it Modern
Our next challenge will be to take one of the traditional quilt blocks pictured below and recreate it using modern quilting elements. Finished quilts can be any size.
Some examples of modern quilting elements include, but are not limited to:
- Use of bold colors and prints
- High contrast and graphic areas of solid colors
- Improvisational piecing
- Expansive negative space AKA expensive negative space for those quilt-by-check gals
- Alternate grid work
Guidelines: Quilts must be finished by the December meeting and will be displayed at the 2018 PVQA Quilt Show. All quilts must be submitted with a 4” wide hanging sleeve stitched to the back. Quilts should be labeled using the official PQVA label. All quilts must be finished (quilted and bound); no tops or partially finished quilts will be allowed to hang. No more than two entries per member.
**Edit: The Morning Star Block is also known as the Weather Vane Block.
We always enjoy the quilts our members make, but are especially excited to see the WIPs you finish this year and the challenge quilts you dream and stitch up!
See you all at the next meeting!