The September meeting celebrated the 6th year of the South Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild! Here are many of our now 66 members taking a photo to commemorate all the fun and great quilts that have been and will be!
In other news:
- Board Member Announcements: Our Co-VPs, Carolyn & Barbara will be retiring from their posts at the end of the calendar year so we are seeking volunteers for next year (not to give away the ending, but we had 5 volunteers already!).
- Sew Day Reminder: We will be hosting a Sew Day on Saturday, September 16th at the Community Foundation Center in Aptos. Check out the Events Page for all the details!
- Flea Market & Scrap Swap: Our annual scrap swap will take place at the October 3rd guild meeting in addition to a Flea Market where guild members can sign-up to sell some of their higher ticket items (think spare sewing machines, precuts, etc). Members can sign up for for the Flea Market by emailing us at email@example.com.
- Workshop Opportunities: A few workshop and retreat oppertunities with other guilds are now available to SBAMQG members:
- Road 2 California: If you are planning to attend Road 2 California Quilt Show in Ontario, CA please email us at sbamqg@gmail to be entered to win two free tickets!
- Quilter’s Planner: Guild members have an opportunity to get a Quilter’s Planner or Quilter’s Planner Combo at a 40% discount. Sign-ups were taken at the September Meeting & will also be taken at the October Meeting along with payments. Check it out here if you want to take advantage of this offer!
- Block of the Every Other Month: Pam Rocco presented the next Block of the Every Other Month, the Lopsided Four Patch Block. Directions for how to construct this block can be found here. Darlene took home the Scrap Block Lotto win (for a second time I might mention!).
- Cow Bell: President Chelsea broke the cow bell. This is very important and must be noted.
- Sew & Tell: As usual, Sew & Tell was a hit! Check out all these beauties including a quilt that lights up!
At the last meeting, Isabelle gave a great demo on how to use the Wefty Needle to weave fabric strips that you can sew into quilts or incorporate into any of your sewing projects like zipper pouches and bags!
Some of Isabelle’s favorite fabric weaving resources include:
Tara Curtis: Wefty Inventor
And we’ve completed yet another month of 2017. Where is it going? My take on it is that all of our members are really using their time to accomplish fabulous stitching. I don’t think there’s any time left for sitting on the beach — hee hee.
President Chelsea kicked the meeting off by reminding us of our Sew Day this Saturday at the Foundation Building in Aptos. 9:30 – 4:30. And we have one more scheduled for 9.16, same time, same place.
- At the October meeting we will have a scrap swap/flea market to thin out your stash and possibly take home some $$. As for the members shopping, you will add treasures to your stash. Each seller will be responsible for $$; i.e., having change. Or if you have something really special that might make a super door prize, you can donate it to the guild.
- Our next meeting will go back to the first Tuesday of the month, so be ready on September 5.
- Retreat: 10.19 – 10.22. Any outstanding balance is due today. You’ve probably received an invoice from Jen Namba.
- Tara Faughnan workshops: Both are full. The supply list went out. Tara will send additional info for the quilt workshop
- Charity block – orange peel. Due at next month’s meeting.
- Make It Modern blocks for PVQA show
- WIP on Instagram – be sure to post finishes
- Kathrin Brown is here selling tickets for the Monterey Peninsula Quilt Guild’s Opportunity Quilt (below).
Gabrielle announced Road to California quilt show is 1.18.18 – 1.21.18. They sent us two tickets. If you’re planning on going, send a message via email to SBAMQG@gmail.com to enter your name to win the tickets and the winner will be chosen from those submitted.
- Kathy Howard
- Cari’s mom
- Lyn Sandberg
BREAK with incredible spread of everything imaginable provided by Cari. Thanks so much.
Isabel gave us a demo on weaving with fabric. Be sure to check the separate post for all the information regarding everything related to the demo; i.e., tools, websites, tutorials.
Door prizes were won by Darlene, Tami & Isabel
Sew ‘n Tell:
See you all next month. Happy stitching in the meantime.
Patricia Goulet, Secretary
Excited about our Block of the Every Other Month and ready to get started on the current Scrap Block?
How to get started:
• Download Pam’s Scrap Block Pattern from the Quilter’s Newsletter Website
• Use your fat quarters from the July meeting swap and fabric from your stash in red-violet, blue-violet & yellow. Use solids or solid-ish fabrics for the stripes in the block.
• Bring your finished block(s) to the September meeting for a chance to win them all at the Block Lotto!
We can’t wait to see what you make!
Tie your hats on and get ready for fun stuff 🙂
- Chelsea Hard, our President, opened the meeting announcing that we’ve had 22 blocks for the BOEM come in. Awesome.
- This is the last day to enter any projects you intend to finish by December. #SBAMQGWIPITGOOD is the Instagram designated site and then start loading those pictures of finished WIPs up on the site.
- Our next challenge, Make it Modern, is for the PVQA quilt show next February. The challenge was posted last month and quilts must be completed by the December for entry into the show.
- MQG Member Benefit for the month: Be sure to take advantage of all the discounts on entertainment and travel – including movies.
- Sew Day in August – 8.19, 9:30-4:30 – Aptos Foundation
The Tara Faughnan all day class is full – although there’s always room on the waiting list. And there are spaces available in the half-day class.
Charity Quilt for QuiltCon: Gabrielle and Mickey presented the colors and blocks we’re hoping everyone will create. There are three sizes – your choice: blocks equaling 3 1/2 inches, 6 1/2 inches and 12 1/2 inches. Please do not trim your blocks. We’ll leave that to the committee.
Use two colors only for each block.
Pam Rocco presented our next Block of Every Other Month. We had a fat quarter swap of all the colors. Use solids for strip. Change 11″ to 14″.
Tonight was the date to turn in the Picture Frame blocks. 22 blocks came in.
The winner of all of the blocks – da-da – Karen Foster. Congrats.
Sew N Tell:
This concludes our July meeting.