The SBAMQG 6th Annual Retreat has come and gone, but out what a fun time we had! The weekend, October 19-22, was chilly but we stayed warm under our in-progress creations as we sewed feverishly into the night (and early, early morning). This was our biggest retreat every, with 23 attendees sewing up a storm!
The retreat wouldn’t have been possible without our gracious sponsors who helped up fill our amazing retreat buckets stitched up by our retreat committee!
While our group missed almost every hike (we had important things to stitch up don’t yah know?) we did get pretty active when it came to play games (with prizes!).
We had an amazing amount a projects in the works during the retreat:
And even more finishes:
Overall it was an amazingly good time and we can’t wait until next year!
In Chelsea’s absence, Gabrielle opened the meeting at 7:15.
The preceding flea market was a huge success. Thanks to everyone for participating.
Gabrielle spoke about the planners and availability. Let her know ASAP if you’d like to order one or more.
Barbara announced that member buttons and membership cards are on front table.
Elections for Board Members for the 2018 year are coming up. All positions are open for nominations.
Isabel shared the charity quilt for QuiltCon. Great job by committee.
Pam shared the Quilting & Textiles Museum has a 40th anniversary exhibit. Our member Ruby has a quilt in the show. Congrats to Ruby.
Sew & Tell :
Our next Block of the Every Other Month is the Lopsided Four Patch!
How to get started:
• Download Pam’s Lopsided Four Patch Pattern here!
• Use gray and gold fabrics.
• Bring your finished block(s) to the November meeting for a chance to win them all at the Block Lotto!
We can’t wait to see what you make!
The September meeting celebrated the 6th year of the South Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild! Here are many of our now 66 members taking a photo to commemorate all the fun and great quilts that have been and will be!
In other news:
- Board Member Announcements: Our Co-VPs, Carolyn & Barbara will be retiring from their posts at the end of the calendar year so we are seeking volunteers for next year (not to give away the ending, but we had 5 volunteers already!).
- Sew Day Reminder: We will be hosting a Sew Day on Saturday, September 16th at the Community Foundation Center in Aptos. Check out the Events Page for all the details!
- Flea Market & Scrap Swap: Our annual scrap swap will take place at the October 3rd guild meeting in addition to a Flea Market where guild members can sign-up to sell some of their higher ticket items (think spare sewing machines, precuts, etc). Members can sign up for for the Flea Market by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Workshop Opportunities: A few workshop and retreat oppertunities with other guilds are now available to SBAMQG members:
- Road 2 California: If you are planning to attend Road 2 California Quilt Show in Ontario, CA please email us at sbamqg@gmail to be entered to win two free tickets!
- Quilter’s Planner: Guild members have an opportunity to get a Quilter’s Planner or Quilter’s Planner Combo at a 40% discount. Sign-ups were taken at the September Meeting & will also be taken at the October Meeting along with payments. Check it out here if you want to take advantage of this offer!
- Block of the Every Other Month: Pam Rocco presented the next Block of the Every Other Month, the Lopsided Four Patch Block. Directions for how to construct this block can be found here. Darlene took home the Scrap Block Lotto win (for a second time I might mention!).
- Cow Bell: President Chelsea broke the cow bell. This is very important and must be noted.
- Sew & Tell: As usual, Sew & Tell was a hit! Check out all these beauties including a quilt that lights up!