We have so many fun and exciting challenges going on this year at SBAMQG that I wanted to write up a quick blog post to tell you about them so you have somewhere to reference all the fun!
At the beginning of the year members were encouraged to post on Instagram photos of works in progress (WIPs) that they planned to complete by the December 2017 Guild Meeting and to update us when their quilts were completed with both posts using #SBAMQGWIPITGOOD. Fast forward 6 months and we have had new member join at each meeting (we’re so popular and we love it!) and now we want to open up a new opportunity. Missed your opportunity at the beginning of the year? Want to start the challenge now? Here are the guidelines:
- Post up to 3 WIPs by July 18, 2017 using #SBAMQGWIPITGOOD
- WIPs are considered anything from a pile of fabric with good intentions to a finished, but unquilted top
- Post pictures of your finished work using the hashtag throughout the year (no progress shots using the hashtag, please)
- For every WIP finished by November 30, 2017 you’ll be entered to win a fabulous Quilty Celebrity prize
Here are some clues as to what this delightful prize might be:
- The Quilty Celebrity equivalent of Indiana Jones’ fedora (or Don Johnson’s jacket, I am not letting that go and you cannot make me)
- Bigger than a seam ripper
- Currently decorating my sewing studio
- NEW CLUE: Red and white and aqua blue all over
Make it Modern
Our next challenge will be to take one of the traditional quilt blocks pictured below and recreate it using modern quilting elements. Finished quilts can be any size.
Some examples of modern quilting elements include, but are not limited to:
- Use of bold colors and prints
- High contrast and graphic areas of solid colors
- Improvisational piecing
- Expansive negative space AKA expensive negative space for those quilt-by-check gals
- Alternate grid work
Guidelines: Quilts must be finished by the December meeting and will be displayed at the 2018 PVQA Quilt Show. All quilts must be submitted with a 4” wide hanging sleeve stitched to the back. Quilts should be labeled using the official PQVA label. All quilts must be finished (quilted and bound); no tops or partially finished quilts will be allowed to hang. No more than two entries per member.
**Edit: The Morning Star Block is also known as the Weather Vane Block.
We always enjoy the quilts our members make, but are especially excited to see the WIPs you finish this year and the challenge quilts you dream and stitch up!
See you all at the next meeting!