SBAMQG 2018 Charity Quilt
We’d love for you to contribute!
For the 2018 Charity Quilt, we will design a quilt top using your orange peel blocks. You can use a template or improvise, but please follow these guidelines:
- Use the color palette above (and only those five colors), including solids or modern prints that read as solids. For this quilt, please no batiks, white, or off white. The official challenge page has some more details on this color palette: https://www.quiltcon.com/charity-quilt-challenge/
- Blocks should be made with two fabrics and must be pieced, not appliqued. (photo above)
- Blocks should be 3.5″, 6.5″, or 12.5″ unfinished. Please leave at least 1/4 inch around the orange peel, so we don’t lose your beautiful work in the seams!
- To include them in the charity quilt, please bring them to the August or September guild meeting.
For some ideas on how to complete an orange peel block or tips on curved piecing, please visit the following tutorials:
In addition, we created some 3″ and 6″ templates you are welcome to use.
Interested in finding out more details on the official color palette:
-2018 SBAMQG Charity Quilt Committee
As promised here are some of the notion and video tutorial resources that may be of interest to you on your EPP journey.
Starch: Faultless Premium Starch – Gold
Glue: Elmer’s Washable, optional glue tips www.purpledaisiesquilting.com
Thread: Aurifil 50wt (orange spool)
Clips: Clover Clips
Scissors: Westcott 2.5” or 3”
Thimble: Clover Natural fit leather Thimble, Clover leather thimbles
Jenn Kingwell www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5TIWejbT74 thread/glue baste, joining
Pat Bravo www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4E7jj9ZCWU feather stitch
Mr.Domestic www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRybD7_ZrE8 glue basting
Mr.Domestic www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6dlaWCqNU joining hexagons
DIY addict www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfC9gOdiinU flat back stitch
President Chelsea Hard asked an opening question of the group: What do you want to be on the special sale for the next meeting? The winner was Solids, followed by Cotton and Steel fabrics.
President Chelsea Hard reminded the group of several upcoming events:
- A Sew Day on August 27th from 9am – 4pm at the Aptos Community Center. Details at this link
- A scrap swap will take place at our next monthly meeting on September 6th. There was a suggestion from the group to have small scraps placed in plastic bags.
- A Sew Day on September 24th from 9am – 4pm at the Aptos Community Center. Details at this link
- A workshop with Sherri Lynn Wood (her book is The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters) will take place on November 5th from 10am – 4pm at Parish Hall at the Soquel Congregation Church. The cost is $70 for members and $80 for non-members. 10 of the approximate 20 slots have been filled and the workshop will be open to other guilds after tonight’s meeting. Workshop details at this link
Mary Perez shared about the Santa Cruz County Fair. This year’s theme is: Cows, ploughs and “oh wow’s!” The fair will take place from September 14th – 18th. Quilt receiving days are from August 27th – 28th and the quilt judging day is on August 30th. Information regarding the requirements for quilt submission can be found at santacruzcountyfair.com
President Chelsea Hard announced that the first charity quilt meeting occurred in August. This year’s them is scale. More information on the theme and color pallet can be found at quiltconeast.com/quilt-show/quiltcon-charity-quilt-challenge/
- Chelsea showed a sample block made by Lynn to the group. Chelsea reminded us the charity quilt will hang at Quilt Con in February 2017. Many of the quilt blocks will be created on the September Sew Day.
Treasurer Gabrielle Robles announced that all people who pay their 2017 SBAMQG Quilt Guild dues by November 1st, 2016 will be entered into a raffle which includes a Harts Fabric Gift Card and other fun quilter items.
Gabrielle (2016 Quilt Retreat Chair) also reminded members that the balance for the 5th Annual SBAMQG Quilt Retreat is due by August 15th. Check your email for invoices from Jenn Namba (These were sent out after you made your deposit and signed up for the retreat). We are still taking people on the wait list as plans do change for the October 2016 retreat.
The winners of the night’s door prizes were: Kerri, Barbara, Mikki, and Marlene.
Show and Tell shares:
And last but not least a big thank you to Mo for taking minutes and filling in.